Crossing the Circle: Southern Expedition (with Buenos Aires flights)
» Feb 27 2018 – Mar 12 2018 (14 DAYS)
» EMBARKATION: Ushuaia
» DISEMBARKATION: Ushuaia
EXPEDITION IN BRIEF
Be one of the few travelers to venture to 66°33′ S
Visit historic research stations in Marguerite Bay
Witness abundant Antarctic wildlife, including penguins, seals, whales and more
Experience western Peninsula highlights and visit iconic landing sites
Learn about Antarctica’s geology and wildlife from on-board lecturers and specialists
- Day 1 – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Day 2 – Ushuaia, Argentina, and Embarkation
- Days 3 and 4 – Crossing the Drake Passage
- Days 5 to 7 – Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands
- Days 8 and 9 – Antarctic Circle
- Days 10 and 11 – Northbound Along the Peninsula
- Days 12 and 13 – Crossing the Drake Passage
- Day 14 – Disembark in Ushuaia and fly to Buenos Aires
Explore Buenos Aires and Ushuaia, with a convenient charter flight in between, before embarking on the cruise portion of your once-in-a-lifetime adventure. Not only does this expedition include the most in-depth exploration of the Antarctic Peninsula, but it also offers the opportunity to venture farther south across the Antarctic Circle. As you head toward a milestone that few travelers reach, you’ll feel as if you’re in a world without borders, sailing across an endless stretch of sea dotted with ice.
Dramatic ice formations will ignite your imagination as you search the landscape for the wildlife that calls it home. Whether it’s humpback whales alongside the ship, a leopard seal diving beneath your Zodiac, penguins sliding off an iceberg into crystal waters, or a giant petrel soaring above cracking sea ice, you’ll experience a sensory overload in Antarctica like you’ve never felt before.
ITINERARY DAY BY DAY
Day 1 – Buenos Aires, Argentina
You may arrive in Buenos Aires at any time during Day 1 of your itinerary. Upon arriving in this splendid city, known for its soaring architecture and rich European heritage, you will independently transfer to the group hotel (pre-night hotel included).
Day 2 – Embarkation Day
After breakfast at the hotel, the group will transfer to the airport and board our private charter flight to Ushuaia, Argentina.
Upon arrival, you will have a little time to explore this quaint port town before heading to the pier.
Embarkation will occur in the late afternoon, after which your vessel will sail down the historic Beagle Channel. This famous channel transects the Tierra del Fuego archipelago in the extreme south of South America. Expect an air of anticipation as you depart—the next time you’ll see land you’ll be in the world’s most southern continent!
Days 3 and 4 – Crossing the Drake Passage
The waters of the Drake Passage are unpredictable, so hope for clear skies and a calm ocean. You’ll have plenty of time to gaze out at the sea, get to know your fellow shipmates and chat with your Expedition Team.
You will spend this time preparing for the exciting days ahead, with numerous educational and informative lectures presented by your Expedition Team. You’ll learn about everything from safety procedures to the history of whaling in Antarctica.
Days 5 to 7 – Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands
With the Drake Passage left in our wake, we make our approach to Antarctica. Get your cameras ready as the continent’s coastline makes its first appearance, signaling the start of your adventure in the realm of the Antarctic. You’ll see plentiful floating icebergs and be fixated on the ocean surface as curious whales spout and breach before your eyes.
As exciting as it can be from on board the ship, your true exploration occurs when you disembark and set foot on the White Continent. There are several potential landing sites that we may visit, including Neko Harbor, Orne Harbour or Paradise Harbour. Although weather dictates which specific landing sites we can visit, each one presents a new collection of wildlife and natural attractions.
Your days will be busy spotting wildlife and being mesmerized by the beauty of Antarctica. Watching penguins waddling on the beach and listening to the crackling and crumbling sounds of icebergs and glaciers will become your daily entertainment, while kayaking with whales and polar camping are optional activities available on select voyages (at an extra cost).
Days 8 and 9 – Antarctic Circle
Crossing the Antarctic Circle is an impressive achievement, as most expeditions to the Antarctic Peninsula do not reach 66°33′ S. You and your shipmates will celebrate in style with a well-earned glass of champagne!
As you toast the first explorers who ventured this far south, you can take pride in knowing you’ve made it to a part of the world visited by very few people. This is raw Antarctica, home of the midnight sun, Weddell seals and some of the most magical, odd ice formations you’ll see anywhere on the continent.
Days 10 and 11 – Northbound Along the Peninsula
By now, your knowledge of Adélie, chinstrap and gentoo penguins will be matched by your ability to differentiate between a leopard, fur or Weddell seal. Terms like bergy bits and pancake ice will seem normal, yet there are still many tales to be told.
As you head north, Zodiac excursions will fill your days, and your Expedition Team will continue offering presentations while giving you time to reflect on everything you’ve experienced.
Days 12 and 13 – Crossing the Drake Passage
As you recross the Drake, Antarctica fades away, leaving you with a collection of memories to last a lifetime. Excited conversations with your newfound friends will make the crossing fly by, regardless of weather and sea conditions. Your Expedition Team will round up its series of lectures as well, perhaps with a slideshow of the great landing sites and wildlife you’ve witnessed over the course of your voyage.
Day 14 – Disembark in Ushuaia and fly to Buenos Aires
We will arrive in Ushuaia in the morning, after breakfast. After disembarking, you will get a little taste of Patagonia, touring Tierra del Fuego National Park before transferring to the airport for the return group charter flight to Buenos Aires.
CABINS & PRICES
|Twin Porthole Cabins||USD 13,495
USD 15,295 Plus*
USD 15,295 Plus (2)**
|Twin Window Cabins||USD 14,495
USD 18,295 Plus*
USD 18,295 Plus (2)**
|Upper Deck Twin||USD 16,595|
|Superior Twin||USD 17,295|
|Top Deck Twin||USD 17,595|
|Suites||USD 18,995 Junior
USD 19,995 (Owner’s)
All rates per person in USD
*Twice the space of the Twin Porthole or Twin Window, with one bathroom.
**Twice the space of the Twin Porthole or Twin Window, with two bathrooms. Complimentary wine with dinner on Ocean Endeavour.
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board
- All shore landings per the daily program
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled
- A photographic journal documenting the expedition
- Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings
- An official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- A hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
- Comprehensive predeparture materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person
- Mandatory transfer package*
- International airfare
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Optional adventure activities
- Arrival transfer in Buenos Aires on Day 1
*Buenos Aires transfer package includes:
- One night’s hotel accommodation in Buenos Aires, with breakfast
- Group transfer from the hotel to the airport in Buenos Aires
- Charter flight from the Buenos Aires international airport to Ushuaia, and return
- Group transfer from the Ushuaia airport to the ship, and return
- Combined airport transfer and express bus tour of Tierra del Fuego National Park after disembarkation
Package cost: USD 950