North Pole Express: Barneo Ice Camp
» Apr 13 2018 – Apr 15 2018 (3 DAYS)
» EMBARKATION: Longyearbyen
» DISEMBARKATION: Longyearbyen
EXPEDITION IN BRIEF
- Fly-in to one of the most remote and extraordinary expedition base camps in the world
- Reach the top of the world by Antonov AN-74 aircraft and Mi8 helicopter
- Learn first hand about the scientific and research activities being conducted at this research station
- Explore the unique culture of Longyearbyen, Norway before the base camp
The itinerary outlined below is only a sample of a typical expedition to Barneo Ice Camp. Day-to-day activities may vary and are also weather dependent. Please note that all flights in the itinerary may be earlier or later than scheduled, depending on weather conditions.
- Day 1 – Arrive Longyearbyen, Norway
- Day 2 – Barneo Ice Camp and North Pole
- Day 3 – Return to Longyearbyen
The pinnacle of this three-day expedition is spending one night at 89° north at Barneo Ice Camp. This seasonal, fly-in base camp is truly a unique North Pole experience and ideal for those seeking a short, but adventurous journey to the top of the world. You’ll be one of a limited group to land on a runway made of ice, and take up temporary residence at this unequalled base camp on the frozen Arctic Ocean.
Established each year to be a functioning Russian science and logistics station, the site is operated by the Expeditionary Center for the Russian Geographical Society. Among your fellow guests and base staff, you may meet scientists, pilots, mechanics, engineers, and explorers.
This expedition offers a fully-guided opportunity to achieve the North Pole by helicopter. Guests will enjoy heated facilities and hearty meals, all accessible within an approx. 2.5 hour flight from Longyearbyen, Svalbard (Norway).
CABINS & PRICES
|Per person||USD 20,995|
All rates per person in USD, based on double occupancy at the Longyearbyen hotel, and co-ed shared accommodation at Barneo Ice Camp.
- One night hotel accommodation based on double occupancy with breakfast in Longyearbyen
- Welcome dinner in Longyearbyen
- All transfers and flights per the daily program
- Shared tent accommodation at Barneo Ice Camp
- Group helicopter excursion to the North Pole (weather dependent)
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks at Barneo Ice Camp
- Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- All activities per the daily program
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader
- Comprehensive predeparture materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person
- International airfare
- Passport and applicable visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges (Longyearbyen only)
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Additional expenses (meals, accommodation, international flight change fees, etc.) incurred by delay or cancellation of activities due to sub-optimal weather
PLEASE NOTE Dates of operation may be altered due to weather and ice conditions. Please be aware of this when making international flight arrangements. Consider purchasing flexible, changeable airline tickets, or booking a one-way flight home after completing the expedition, to help reduce ticket change fees. These delays may not be covered by travel insurance.
TRIP INTERRUPTION AND CANCELLATION INSURANCE IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
Note: Baggage allowance on charter flight is 33 lbs (15 kg) carry-on. Checked luggage is not permitted.