The Antarctic Peninsula
» Feb 4 2020 – Feb 15 2020 (12 DAYS)
» EMBARKATION: Ushuaia
» DISEMBARKATION: Ushuaia
EXPEDITION IN BRIEF
- Discover why this trip is perfect for first-time visitors to Antarctica
- Explore highlights of the Antarctic Peninsula
- Learn about the environment and wildlife from on-board lecturers and specialists
- Experience abundant wildlife: penguins, seals, whales and more
- Day 1 – Ushuaia, Argentina
- Day 2 – Embarkation
- Days 3 and 4 – Drake Passage
- Days 5 to 9 – Antarctica
- Days 10 and 11 – Drake Passage
- Day 12 – Ushuaia
Antarctica has been inspiring explorers for centuries. And this expedition offers you the chance to discover why, with an unforgettable journey through the spectacular wilderness of the South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula. You’ll encounter a world where nature creates the rules, her unpredictable temperament making each trip unique, exciting and personal. Imagine cruising in a Zodiac through crackling sea ice like shattered glass, witnessing penguins building their nests, or navigating through a maze of icebergs, each one uniquely shaped by its journey through the sea. You’ll enjoy iconic Antarctic highlights, exhilarating adventures and be rewarded with memories to last a lifetime.
This succinct version of our “classic” Antarctic Peninsula voyage offers the same abundance of wildlife viewing opportunities as well as possible stops at active scientific or historic bases as the 12 day version, while allowing travellers to complete door-to-door travel within two weeks.
ITINERARY DAY BY DAY
Day 1 – Ushuaia
Arrive in Ushuaia anytime today, or take advantage of our complimentary flexible arrival program and arrive up to 24 hours in advance. You’ll be staying at the beautiful Arakur Hotel & Resort, a member of the Leading Hotels of the World. Explore the trails, take a spa, relax and soak in the surroundings, or head into Ushuaia and browse the Argentinean leather markets. Our optional evening briefing is a great opportunity for you to ask questions and to meet some of your fellow travellers. Enjoy a complimentary buffet breakfast in the morning.
Day 2 – Embarkation
This morning, we’re free to explore Ushuaia or unwind at the resort until our mid-afternoon transfer to the ship. On board, we’ll be greeted by our Expedition Team and the Ship’s Officers. A concise safety and orientation briefing will be followed by the Captain’s welcome dinner. After dinner, we’ll relax and take in the scenery on our early evening sail through the Beagle Channel, past Magellanic Penguin, Rock Cormorant, and Sea Lion colonies.
Days 3 and 4 – Drake Passage
As we make our way ever closer to the white continent, numerous Polar Experts will prepare us with presentations on everything Antarctic, from wildlife to history. Eventually, we’ll cross the Antarctic Convergence where we’ll notice a distinct drop in temperature as we enter the waters of the Antarctic Ocean.
Those interested in Citizen Science can take part in Sea Bird sighting surveys, or help collect salinity samples and weather data along the way. We’re likely to witness some spectacular sights, from icebergs to an array of seabirds and whale species. If we’re lucky, we may see some of them fully breach from the sea.
Day 5 to 9 – Antarctica
In the waterways of the Antarctic Peninsula, we hope to make as much time as possible to explore by inflatable Zodiac boats and marvel up close at nature’s glory. Our Expedition Leader and Captain will create a flexible itinerary based on weather, ice, and opportunity. We will aim for the most scenic bays and channels of the Peninsula with stops at penguin rookeries, seal wallows, bird colonies and whale feeding areas, as well as sites of historic and scientific interest.
The trip may include picturesque Neko Harbor, sheltered Paradise Harbor, the Humpback Whale favored Wilhelmina Bay, the striking Lemaire Channel, the wildlife-filled Penola Channel, or the majestic Neumayer Channel. We may stop at an active scientific base such as Poland’s Arctowksi or Ukraine’s Vernadskiy as well as a historic base such as U.K.’s Port Lockroy or Wordie House.
Adelie, Chinstrap and Gentoo Penguins abound, and Weddell, Crabeater and Elephant Seals are often found hauled out to rest along with predatory Leopard Seals and the assertive Antarctic Fur Seal. Minke and Humpback Whales are frequent visitors in the late season (Feb – Mar) and Orca sightings are also common.
Days 10 and 11 – Drake Passage
As we leave this magical place and make our way north, heading again across the Antarctic Convergence and the Drake Passage, we will continue our presentation series and wildlife spotting. Sailing back to Ushuaia through the Beagle Channel, we celebrate the conclusion of our expedition with a special slideshow.
Day 12 – Ushuaia disembarkation
Morning disembarkation lets you catch a flight to Buenos Aires or stay in Ushuaia for more sights and adventure.
CABINS & PRICES
|Triple Suite||USD 9,995|
|Porthole Suite||USD 12,995|
|Window Suite||USD 14,995|
|Promenade Suite||USD 15,495|
|Deluxe Suite||USD 15,795|
|Veranda Suite||USD 16,995|
|Penthouse Suite||USD 19,595|
|Owner´s Suite||USD 22,795|
All rates expressed in USD per person sharing
- One night hotel accommodation in embarkation city. Early check-in (up to 24 hours prior to usual check-in time) available if requested, with confirmed air itinerary, at least 90 days prior to departure
- Transfer from airport in embarkation city (Trelew Airport “REL” for the Nov 3 voyage which embarks in Puerto Madryn; Ushuaia Airport “USH” for all other departures) to group hotel if arriving on Day 1 of itinerary, and providing we have your confirmed air itinerary at least 90 days prior to departure
- Transfer from group hotel to ship for embarkation
- Group transfer from ship to airport, hotel in Ushuaia, or central location following disembarkation
- Shipboard accommodations
- All scheduled Landings / excursions
- All meals onboard
- Coffee/tea/cocoa 24 hours daily
- Welcome/Farewell cocktail
- House wine / beer / soft drink with dinner
- Expedition jacket (yours to keep)
- A pair of boots for use during the voyage
- WiFi from the public computers in the library
- 100 minute WiFi card (for use on your personal devices)
- Daily international news service
- Digital Voyage Log
- All port fees
- All landing fees
- In Owner’s Suite, Penthouse, Veranda, Deluxe and Promenade categories: champagne and chocolates on arrival, and complimentary mini-bar
- Any airfare or travel expenses associated with arrival in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn
- Transfer from airport to group hotel, unless arriving on Day 1 of the itinerary
- Pre or post voyage expenses in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn
- Laundry and personal expenses incurred on board
- Alcohol and soft drinks onboard (except as listed above in inclusions)
- Onboard communication charges such as outgoing phone calls, WiFi from personal devices in excess of the 100 minutes provided
- Staff gratuities