» Feb 6 2020 – Feb 16 2020 (11 DAYS)
» EMBARKATION: Ushuaia
» DISEMBARKATION: Ushuaia
EXPEDITION IN BRIEF
- Day 1 – Embarkation in Ushuaia
- Days 2 and 3 – At sea
- Days 4 to 8 – Antarctica
- Days 9 and 10 – At sea
- Day 11 – Disembarkation in Ushuaia
This Antarctic Peninsula is known as the “Classic Antarctic” route. Meet the great stars of the Antarctic, the penguins, found in the thousands in a variety of curious species. Investigate one of the most pristine regions left on Earth with the chance to have live encounters with spouting whales.
ITINERARY DAY BY DAY
Day 1 – Embarkation and departure from Ushuaia
In the afternoon, we embark in Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, the southernmost city in the world located at the Beagle Channel and sail through this scenic waterway for the rest of the evening.
Days 2 and 3 – At sea
During these two days we sail across the Drake Passage. When we cross the Antarctic Convergence, we arrive in the circum-Antarctic up welling zone. In this area we may see Wandering Albatrosses, Grey Headed Albatrosses, Blackbrowed Albatrosses, Light-mantled Albatrosses, Cape Pigeons, Southern Fulmars, Wilson’s Storm Petrels, Blue Petrels and Antarctic Petrels. Near the South Shetland Islands, we spot our first icebergs.
Days 4 to 8 – Antarctica
We will sail directly to “High Antarctica”, passing the Melchior islands and the Schollaert Channel between Brabant and Anvers Island. On Cuverville Island, a small precipitous island, nestled between the mountains of the Antarctic Peninsula and Danco Island, we will find a large colony of Gentoo Penguins and breeding pairs of Brown Skuas. If we land on Danco Island we can observe Gentoo Penguins and possibly Weddell and Crabeater Seals. In Neko Harbour we will have the opportunity to set foot on the Antarctic Continent in a magnificent landscape of huge glaciers calving at sea level. We enjoy the landscape surrounded by alpine peaks during zodiac cruises. In Paradise Bay again with its myriad icebergs, we have the opportunity to set foot on the Antarctic Continent again. We shall have the opportunity for a zodiac cruise in the inner parts of this amazing water way. In this area we have good chances to see Humpback Whales and Minke Whales. After sailing through the Neumayer Channel, we hope to get a chance to visit the old British research station, now living museum and post office at Port Lockroy on Goudier Island. Close to Port Lockroy we may also offer a landing on Jougla Point with Gentoo Penguins and Blue-eyed Shags.We sail through the spectacular Lemaire Channel to Pléneau and Petermann Island where we can find Adélie penguins and Blue-eyed shags. In this area, there are good chances to encounter Humpback whales, Minke whales and Fin whales. Sailing north through Gerlache Strait we arrive at Wilhelmina Bay where we often are fortunate to see feeding Humpback whales. We may embark on a Zodiac cruise if the conditions allow ending at the wreck of Guvernøren an old whaling vessel that burned here in 1915. Around Melchior Islands amidst a beautiful landscape with icebergs, where we may encounter more whales but also Leopard seal and Crabeater seals. This area offers excellent opportunities for kayaking and camping in the pristine Antarctic environment. We will depart from the Peninsula around noon when conditions on the Drake Passage (weather and sea-conditions) are predicted as unfavorable.
Days 9 and 10 – At sea
On our way north we are again followed by a great selection of seabirds while crossing the Drake Passage.
Day 11 – Arrival in Ushuaia and disembark
We arrive in the morning in Ushuaia and disembark.
CABINS & PRICES
|Quadruple Porthole||From USD 7,950|
|Triple Porthole||USD 8,950|
|Twin Porthole Deck 4||USD 9,650|
|Twin Porthole Deck 3||USD 9,650|
|Twin Window||USD 10,100|
|Twin Deluxe||USD 10,850|
All rates per person in USD
*Price per person when booking the complete cabin for two people
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Luggage transfer from pick-up point to the vessel on the day of embarkation, in Ushuaia
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation)
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
- Any airfare, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Pre- and post- land arrangements
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is mandatory).
- Excess baggage charges and all items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided)